2013 SILVER QUEEN CONTEST!
The Silver Queen Crowning returns to the State Fair at 12pm on Senior Citizen's Day.
Instead of a panel of judges and a pageant held earlier in the summer, the voting for this year’s Silver Queen will be done online at chieftain.com. The change was made to ensure that all our lovely candidates, who’ve lead such interesting and wonderful lives, are considered on their present and past abilities.
· The introduction of the queen candidates will be held in the WeatherPort Tent starting at 12pm.The reigning Queen Elaine Eddy Ripley (102 years young) will attend the crowning of her successor. The crowning should take place at about 12:30pm-12:45pm Family and friends are invited to attend the Silver Queen crowning, and then spend the day enjoying the fair with their loved one.
· All senior citizens 60 and older receive FREE admission. Everyone else who is attending the Fair and Silver Queen pageant will be asked to pay $5 gate admission. Family group rates are available through the State Fair Box office at (719) 404-2071. Reservations for your group are not required, there will be plenty of seating for your entire group in the tent.
· Our emcee will introduce the candidates and talk a bit with them. He does his best to help each lady feel comfortable and this gives the crowd a chance to meet each candidate before our 2013 Queen is announced.
· Online voting will be held from Sunday, August 18 – Sunday, August 25th. Proper measures will be made to ensure the online voting is fair.
· The Pueblo Chieftain’s State Fair Edition will publish on Sunday, August 18th and feature all the candidates. The candidates will also appear in the Life section on Wednesday, August 21st.
LAST YEAR'S SILVER QUEEN!
The 2012 Colorado State Fair Silver Queen was Elaine Eddy Ripley, 101, who lives at Chateau at Sharmar Village in Pueblo, Colorado!
The annual contest's judges were impressed with her spunky attitude and energy. She really invigorated the crowd when she got everyone to sing a medley of America the Beautiful and God Bless America.
HERE ARE LAST YEAR'S OTHER WINNERS:
1st Runner Up
Sue Ann Loomis – 92, Hilderbrand Care Center, Canon City, CO
2nd Runner Up
Doris McCray – 96, Life Care Center of Pueblo, Pueblo, CO
3rd Runner Up
Alice Truitt – 93, Pikes Peak Care & Rehabilitation Center, Colorado Springs
Melva Quillen – 82, Westwind – Horizon Heights, Pueblo, CO
Eva June Arnold – 91, Pueblo Care & Rehabilitation Center, Pueblo, CO
Louise Bachik – 88, Westwind Village, Pueblo, CO
Adelaida Garcia – 88, Sharmar Village Care Center, Pueblo, CO
Rita Kottenstetti – 93, Bruce McCandless Sate Veterans Home, Florence, CO
Betty Nielsen - 91, Colorado State Veterans Nursing Home, Walsenburg, CO
Betty Owens – 79, The Pavillion at Villa Pueblo, Pueblo, CO
Theresa Passero - 96, Trinidad Inn, Trinidad, CO
Mary Patton – 91, Belmont Senior Care Assisted Living, Pueblo, CO
Rose Romero – 97, Wynwood of Pueblo, Pueblo, CO
Frances Shue – 85, Villa Pueblo Assisted Living, Pueblo, CO
Mary Sierra – 81, Belmont Lodge, Pueblo, CO